Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Tribute to Walking History


Being Veteran's Day, I would like to dedicate this post to one of my few cherished heroes in this world, my grandfather: RG Baker. My grandpa served in World War 2 starting at the ripe age of 18 years old. While he, like many of his fellow vets, seldom discusses these years of his life, he is part of history. His generation is dwindling and all of the memories and information they hold are slowly disappearing with them. While we've all learned about the past, specifically the war, from text books, I strongly feel that these depictions do not hold a candle to the stories these men & women carry with them. I am eternally grateful for the small tidbits my grandpa has shared with me thus far and look forward to any and all other accounts he may share with me in the future. My grandpa is one of a kind. The very best kind. And today we celebrate all of the many men & women who have fought, continue to fight, and will fight for our country.

While this photo is not an actual shot of RG, it depicts his duty during the war which was chosen due to his small size.

No comments:

Post a Comment